Keep Your Pet Away from These Common Household Items

Too frequently vets are treating pets who have ingested something they shouldn’t have. Many times, the pet owners never thought to keep these items far out of reach, because they didn’t even realize they were poisonous to their furry companions. Here’s a short list to enlighten you on what common household items to keep far away from your pet.

Cats

True Lilies

People love lilies because they smell wonderful and look good in any garden. Florists often include them in arrangements because they are inexpensive and long-lasting. However, even the smallest ingestion can cause kidney failure in your cat. Keep him away from true lilies, which include Tiger, Day, Asiatic, Easter, and Japanese Show lilies.

Household Cleaners

Floor and surface cleaners are among the most common and worst offenders. Many cat owners don’t realize common kitchen and bathroom cleaners can be so toxic to cats. It’s important that after you use these products, you wipe up any excess residue or liquid as well as store these products out of your cat’s reach.

Potpourri

While you can’t be faulted for wanting your house to smell nice, you must be responsible in how accessible these substances are to your pets. Liquid potpourri especially can prove deadly to cats if ingested. It can also cause severe skin irritation. There are many other ways you can make your home smell fresh (and mask any cat litter odor). Instead of liquid potpourri, try reed diffusers or plug-in air fresheners.

Dogs

Hazardous Foods: Chocolate, Macadamia Nuts, Grapes, and Raisins

Most dog owners know the dangers of chocolate for dogs, but did you know that macadamia nuts can cause depression, hypothermia, or weakness in your dog’s legs? Though great snacks for humans, if your dog ingests grapes or raisins, he can suffer acute kidney failure as a result. Be sure to keep these foods out of reach and, if you are eating them, don’t leave your snack unattended.

Insecticides

Especially in the Spring, insecticides like organophosphates and carbamates are used in areas prone to flea and tick infestations. If your dog is exposed to these chemicals, they can be toxic. If you commonly use insecticides on your backyard, it may be time to think about alternative precautions that do not use harsh chemicals.

Over the Counter Human Medicines

Common household drugs like NSAIDs, Advil, and other pain relievers can have great benefits for us but result in a guaranteed trip to the emergency vet if ingested by your dog. Even one or two pills can cause serious stomach and intestinal ulcers as well as kidney failure in your dog. It is imperative that you are responsible with where you store your medications.

If you notice a change in your pet’s health, such as vomiting, diarrhea, or you are afraid that your cat or dog may have ingested something potentially hazardous, contact your veterinarian immediately.